Study questions (All topics)
Fill in the blanks
- The component(s) of a virus that is/are extended from the envelope for attachment is/are the____________________
- The envelope of a virus is derived from the host’s ____________________________
- In naming viruses, the family name ends with __________ and genus name ends with ___________
- Another name for a nonenveloped virus is______________________________
- A virus that infects a bacterium is called a/an __________.
- A/an __________ virus possesses characteristics of both a polyhedral and helical virus.
- A virus containing only nucleic acid and a capsid is called a/an __________ virus or __________ virus.
- The __________ on the bacteriophage allow for binding to the bacterial cell.
Think about It
- Discuss the geometric differences among helical, polyhedral, and complex viruses.
- What was the meaning of the word “virus” in the 1880s and why was it used to describe the cause of tobacco mosaic disease?
- In terms of evolution, which do you think arises first? The virus or the host? Explain your answer.
- Do you think it is possible to create a virus in the lab? Imagine that you are a mad scientist. Describe how you would go about creating a new virus?
- Name each labeled part of the illustrated bacteriophage.