Study questions Topic 4 (Virus genomes)
Genomes and genetics
- How many genome types are known? Be able to name all of them, including a representative virus for each.
- The genome inside a virion is always a nucleic acid. If you could get the genome into a cell, would it start the replication cycle? Consider this question for each of the known viral genome types.
- What can viruses with segmented genomes do that other viruses with unimolecular genomes cannot?
- What is wild‐type?
- What is the name of the process by which viral DNA is introduced into cells? What about non‐viral DNA?
- There is an infectious DNA clone for at least one member of nearly every virus family. Why is this so important?