Study questions for Topic 2 (Characteristics of viruses)
- State 2 living characteristics of viruses.
- State 3 non-living characteristics of viruses.
- List 3 criteria used to define a virus.
- A virus that infects only bacteria is termed a _________
- State why viruses can’t replicate on environmental surfaces or in synthetic laboratory media.
- Define and describe mobile genetic elements. Explain why plasmids, transposons, and viruses are all considered mobile genetic elements
- List some characteristics that viruses share with living organisms and explain why viruses do not fit our usual definition of life
- List the characteristics of living things. Describe why viruses do or do not satisfy each criterion.